This apprenticeship combines ‘block release’ training at college with on-the-job training at a depot near your home.
At college you will learn skills to ensure that all small tools and heavy machinery is well maintained and complies with agreed standards.
The rest of the time you will be a key employee at one of our branches. You’ll learn the following:
- Under the guidance of your line manager, carry out maintenance, service, repairs, and modifications to company assets as directed, and in line with the standards set by the company
- Under the guidance of your line manager work to keep the depot backlog at the figures set by the company, whilst not jeopardising quality
- Assist your line manager with ensuring that spares are requested in order to facilitate the speedy repair of equipment
- Replacement of worn/damaged stickers
- Ensure that tools supplied by the company are returned and secure at the end of use
- Ensure the workshop and yard are kept in a clean, tidy, and safe condition
- Complete all paperwork required, or update computer managed records accordingly
- Comply with HSE regulations
- Employee should contact his/her line manager with any concerns regarding H & S
- Ensure equipment is loaded correctly
- Ensure equipment is not left in public areas
- Ensure equipment is maintained to fall within H & S legislation standards
- Monitoring of driving endorsements
- Check drivers hours and tachographs
As well as learning from the best in the business, you’ll gain a range of qualifications and skills to drive your career forward, working towards obtaining initially a Level 2 Intermediate, and then the Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Construction, Plant Maintenance through Myerscough College.
An apprenticeship with Vp Group allows individuals to learn, work, earn and get qualified all at the same time.
You will receive competitive pay, along with on-the-job training and development at college leading to a nationally recognised qualification.
Your Apprenticeship will last 3 years and will look like the following:
In Year 1 you will undertake basic tasks such as inspecting plant machinery with your line manager guiding you through this. You will attend a Myerscough College in the north-west of England on block release for a total of 16 weeks staying away from home. Don’t worry about the costs of your travel and accommodation as this will be taken care of for you.
In Year 2 you will build upon what you learnt in Year 1. You will diagnose faults and repair and service plant machinery. During Year 2 you will attend college for 10 weeks, requiring you to stay away from home.
Year 3 will see you have more responsibility where you will advise on repairs to plant machinery returned by customers. You will be able to diagnose complex faults with plant machinery. During Year 3 you will attend college for 10 weeks, requiring you to stay away from home.
Personal Qualities :
- To work hard
- Show you’re serious about developing a career with us
- Be enthusiastic, hardworking, and punctual
- Want to be part of a successful business
- The ability to work well within a team
- A genuine interest in plant maintenance
Skills Required :
- Good communication skills
- Any relevant work experience is desired
Future Prospects :
When you have completed your apprenticeship and have gained experience as a Fitter, there are various career opportunities available to you.